But anyway . . . the stores here are impossible. And by impossible I mean completely out of control how-do-people-live-like-this kind of stores. For example, I went to a store today in the suburbs of Paris (my first time ever in zone 3 !) called Auchon. It was in a mall which at first I didn`t think too much about cos we were in fact going there to get linens, until I realized my roommate went to the same store yesterday to get groceries. Groceries in a mall? I guess I can get used to that. Kill all kinds of birds with one stone. But then I got to Auchon and Oh-Em-Gee let me tell you. This place had to be at least the size of four Costcos stacked on top of each other and then some. This store had EVERYTHING and by everything I mean it could fully stock and support an entire country for years. It was like your typical California grocery store meets Costco meets Super Target meets Home Depot meets Linens and Things meets Best Buy meets The Mall meets the Metro Station meets Super Sized. I don`t think I can ever go there alone. I wouldn`t know what to do with myself. I would get lost in my brain just trying to figure out what to do first before I`d even have time to get lost in the store. Note to self: bring Google Maps with you EVERY TIME you go near Auchon. NO Exceptions. Anyway, while I was looking at linens with some of my friends for their new place, this little girl came up to me and was like, "Excuse me Madame, do you know where I can find other socks like this?" (all in French of course) as she pointed to a pack of socks she had in her hand. It was the cutest thing ever. Not only was she adorable but her little French voice was adorable and the way she thought I not only had been to Auchon before but WORKED there was freaking adorable too. I just laughed to myself then told her I didn`t know because I don`t work there. We all thought it was pretty funny to say the least.
And for those of you who are worried about what I`m eating (ahem, Mother) don`t even worry about it. Before I moved into my place (two days ago) I was eating out at little cafes or going to the market and getting cheese and salami and crackers or 1€70 sandwiches. But since I`ve been in the apartment I haven`t eaten out at all. The first night Lance (my roommate), Ross (my best friend in the program) and I all cooked this cute little shrimp pasta dinner with a homemade white wine mushroom sauce with wine and cheese and a baguette (and by "we made" I mean Lance made). It was the cutest ever. And last night Morgan`s mom (Morgan is a friend of Lance`s) came over and cooked this super cute dinner for all of us (me, Lance, Morgan, David, and Paul . . . two other friends of Lance`s, all French of course). We had this cute little pizza appertizer with Malibu and this fabulous grape drink cocktails. Then salmon and rice with a sauce Morgan made with white wine. Then a plate of cheese and baguettes with red wine (only me and Morgan drank the red wine of course, we just couldn`t say no). Then chocolate souffleed rice crispies and yogurt and sugar for dessert with water. I`m sorry, was that you, Mom, who was worried about what I was going to eat ? I think I`m going to be okay . . . ;)
Well, they say Paris is the city of love. And I, for one, have DEFINITELY already fallen in love. With the city itself, its quirky little stores, and Nutella. Oooh Nutella, how did I live for 20 years without knowing your existence?
No comments:
Post a Comment