I knew that living abroad for a year would incur inevitable changes in my person but it never occurred to me how permanent some of those changes might be. After nearly 20 years of forming habits and developing little daily rituals it would seem as though I have myself pretty figured out. But if in 6 months I`m already transforming into an antisocial hermit what irreversible damage will an entire year do ? It`s interesting to see how such a significant life style change is dividing my life quite literally into "now" and "then." There`s "before Paris," and there`s "Paris." Paris I feel will always be the transitive marker in my life where I gave up some of my youthful thinking and meandered my way into becoming a real life adult. As spontaneous as an action that should be, a part of me feels as though I`m choosing to change and I`m choosing to grow up. Though slight personality changes can be overlooked and even enhance a person, growing up is the one thing that cannot be undone. I will never be that anxious over-excited eager-to-see-the-world girl I once was before coming to Paris. I will never again be the crazy exuberant sorority girl out-dressing everyone at every event. And I will definitely never again be the outspoken pink haired punk-rock cheerleader I was in high school. So my question is, what comes after Paris ? Is it even possible to walk back into the life of a person who no longer exists ? Moreover, does that life continue even after said person has gone ?
The time is quickly approaching where I have to decide how to spend my next couple of years. Thought provoking situations such as this lead to exasperating thoughts leaving me a bit pensive at best. I feel the past and the present pulling at me from both ends. It`s only a matter of figuring out which of them will bring me to the future.
You looked people in the eye before. It must be a new thing.
ReplyDeleteYou might just be adapting to the culture!
ReplyDeleteI was just in a meeting where they were discussing cross cultural differences and I thought of you. The women speaking had spent ten years of her life in France and she was saying that people in France do not smile at each other or greet each other if they don't know one another. In fact, they don't even look each other in the eye, unless they want to say (through their body language) "I'm interested in you" So, really, you shouldn't be worried. You're adapting to the culture beyond knowing the language, you're now acting socially like someone who is French...not a bad thing :)
I could be wrong too, but its worth thinking about and being aware of...
I love cross cultural stuff! It's so fun to realize how different every culture is and to try and understand why people in a society act the way they do...anyway, be blessed!